5.28.2008

Stylista, the show.. and real fashionistas.

I haven't been really keeping tabs on the upcoming CW show Stylista, click here for some clips (which was supposedly to be named "Fashion Wars") but from what I've gathered from various internet sites/blogs is: those whose lifelong dream is to work for a Fashion magazine, are honestly, how else should I put it... pissed. And honestly I don't blame them. When I went to the audition (at hope of my chance of a job being handed to me on a silver platter) the masses of people varied: from chic FIDM students (the majority), aspiring and intelligent Fashionistas to must I say it... 'bimbos' who's favorite designers when asked included.. "Jessica Simpson" and who's favorite memory from college is having guys lined up to take her virginity. I'm not saying everyone was like that, but most of them, I couldn't picture even grabbing coffee or making copies with a major publication, let alone writing any sort of intelligent fashion based editorial. But of course, when I saw the recent clips of the show, the bimbo from the audition makes it on, for the most obvious reason- "better ratings". It honestly saddens me to see a prime spot at a prestigious magazine go to waste, but of course real Fashionistas got talent... and unfortunately the "audience" doesn't dig talent right now.. but dramatic overload.


On a lighter note... I'll be interviewing Melissa Davis this upcoming week. For those of you who haven't heard of her. She has spent about 12 years working as a Fashion Editor for various magazines (ie: Harper's BAZAAR, Lucky, 7x7, Mademoiselle etc.) and has made the jump from Fashion Editor to owning her own PR boutique.

Got any questions for Melissa/PR industry/ Breaking in the Fashion Editor field? let me know asap!


Photo Credits: rubypr.com

3 comments:

thatgirl! said...

I'm looking forward to your interview post. This should be really good! I too am also looking to break into Fashion editorial. great blog by the way!

Keira said...

Just wanted to leave a quick 'thanks' for your blog and your posts. I just discovered it today, but I'm enjoying reading it, and I'll be back again soon.

Anonymous said...

so can i still get into CSM after doing engineering... its my passion and i want to pursue it further... but i don't know how to go for it or in which direction to go.... please help me...